Monday, October 8, 2007

WWRD


What Would Riggins Do? And with that classic Matt and Landry banter we’re back for another season with the Dillon Panthers.

Friday night was a good night. Good food. Good friends. Good tv.

The numbers weren’t exactly great, but Friday Night Lights opened its second season on a positive ratings note – preliminary Nielsen estimates (this is without DVR numbers) 6.5 million viewers overall. For the 9 o’clock hour, Moonlight had more viewers (with 8 million), but it won the hour in the all important 18-34 demographic. And it gained 200,000 viewers from last season’s finale! And since no one I know who watches the show watched it in “real time,” I’m pretty happy about these numbers.

I am proud to admit that at least four newbies became addicted to the show over the summer 100 percent because of me. I can’t take full credit for some of the others, but I am happy to report there are more :) And on Friday, there were three newbies at my house watching. One asked for the Season 1 DVD right then and there. One openly admitted they were only watching because of Bill Simmons. And then, warmth to my heart, that same person gave in and asked for the Season 1 DVD on Sunday :) On top of a fantastically handsome Coach Taylor, some great Captain of the S.S. Ta-tas Tim shots and countless texts from friends over the weekend about the show – how could I not still be smiling. I’m still not sure how I felt about the ending, but we’ll see how they handle it. I have confidence it will be great.

But between this being the second post in a row about FNL and talking to my family about how my Dad gave up sugar and Diet Coke (at least until the end of the year for starters), I’ve been thinking about addiction recently. Addiction. There are good addictions and bad addictions. Not every addiction has to be bad right? Who doesn’t love a good addiction? I know I do. You do something once, you like it, you do it again. It becomes your “Thursday TV Night” or “Afternoon Snack” ritual. It becomes a special part of you. You know it must be 3 p.m. because you are craving your trip to the vending machine/Starbucks/DC – whatever it may be. But when does that ritual become addictive? Could you really survive without a Diet Coke? Sure. Do you want to? No. Could I live without FNL? Of course. Do I want to? NO NO NO

I guess when life gets tough you just have to ask yourself one question: WWRD?

3 comments:

maWeesa said...

i can't believe i had to wait all weekend to see the first ep! i really enjoyed it and yes, when in doubt.. WWRD?

NatAttack said...

I couldn't not comment!

While watching, I remembered the giddy feeling I get when I'm watching a brand-new FNL ep. Words can't describe it--but true fans know what I'm talking about. I just love it SO MUCH.

Probably unhealthily so.

Em said...

Kristan...as I'm reading your blog I'm fully laughing out loud...and I am getting weird looks as I am in the airport. I laugh, 1 because you are funny, and 2 because reading your words is like reading the thoughts that are running through my brain. We are so much alike it's not funny. I guess that's why I like you so much...it's like being friends with ME! :)