Tuesday, August 7, 2007

You know it’s summer when


Yesterday when I was at KC’s apartment I opened the freezer and there they were, in all their glory, Push Up Pops. Okay, that’s what we called them in my family but most people know them as Fla-Vor-Ice or Otter Pops. What is it about the frozen, colored sugar water that is so appealing? People, and by people I mean everyone I know, consume them – in unmentionable quantities – all summer long. It starts when you are a kid, but then somehow you find yourself buying and eating them well after you are old enough to know they don’t taste that great and really are just colored sugar water. I guess when someone asks which “color” you want as oppose to which “flavor” that kind of gives something away :)

When ever I see Push Up Pops I will always think of my little sister. She was – scratch that, probably still is – addicted! My mom had to limit her to 10 a day. That’s right 10! She would eat them all day long - at least two at a time. There were wrappers everywhere. And the tops that she cut off too. And of course the scissors were always sticky from the sugar, at least until she just stopped worrying about cutting the tops off and just started ripping it with her teeth. I just remember my mom opening the trash and seeing all of the wrappers and yelling at her to stop. I’m sure Sam wised up and started using multiple trash cans in order to get more than her allotted 10 a day. Quite hysterical.

And I found this hysterical review of Fla-Vor-Ice vs. Otter Pops. Comparing the price, quantity, packaging, nutrition, ingredients and directions . . . with the big grand finale. . . They are the same thing, made by the exact same company!

Now that you are craving a Push Up Pop, which color do you want? :)

1 comment:

nerak said...

FYI: We call them 'Freezies' in Canada. Logical, eh?