What is it about sales? This idea of an occasion for buying something at a specially reduced price. What is it that makes, woman in particular, feel as those they need to buy something they otherwise wouldn’t just because it’s “on sale.” I have fallen victim to this many of times. And, don’t get me wrong, there are also many times where I do buy something I’ve wanted but could only afford because it was “on sale.”
New York introduced to me a new phenomenon – sample sales. From clothing to shoes to handbags and housewares, sample sales are a great way to get designer goods at a discount. My first sample sale when I moved to the city was a Kate Spade sample sale. I walked into the Metropolitan Plaza and found a huge room with thousands of bags and accessories and hundreds of women hoarding over them. It was quite the experience. Seriously women would grab purses and pile them up their arms. Then they would go into a corner and decide which items they really wanted. It’s was hilarious. I’ve always thought it would make an interesting documentary or thesis paper :) Since my first venture into the world of sample sales, I’ve hit up quite a few – Jimmy Choo, Prada, Catherine Malandrino and more. The experience is usually more fun than the actual shopping. Items are usually still too expensive, not my size or just plain ugly.
Yesterday I heard about a Hermes sample sale, and I thought I’d go check it out – and maybe buy my first Hermes scarf. I went after work and of course immediately found quite a few items I loved! However, they were still all over $200. I found myself standing there thinking, “Well, it’s such a good deal. I mean when am I ever going to spend thousands of dollars on a Hermes scarf? This is my opportunity to have one for a fraction of the cost.” Seriously! Seriously! What is wrong with me! I’m contemplating spending way too much money on something I don’t need and something I didn’t even think about wanting until that morning! I have a problem. Luckily I resisted, but I found myself doing the same thing earlier this week over a pair of shoes at the Prada sample sale. They were fantastic shoes, but I would have never worn them. Again, luckily I resisted.
So, what is wrong with me, us? Why does this word “sale” have this power over us?
New York introduced to me a new phenomenon – sample sales. From clothing to shoes to handbags and housewares, sample sales are a great way to get designer goods at a discount. My first sample sale when I moved to the city was a Kate Spade sample sale. I walked into the Metropolitan Plaza and found a huge room with thousands of bags and accessories and hundreds of women hoarding over them. It was quite the experience. Seriously women would grab purses and pile them up their arms. Then they would go into a corner and decide which items they really wanted. It’s was hilarious. I’ve always thought it would make an interesting documentary or thesis paper :) Since my first venture into the world of sample sales, I’ve hit up quite a few – Jimmy Choo, Prada, Catherine Malandrino and more. The experience is usually more fun than the actual shopping. Items are usually still too expensive, not my size or just plain ugly.
Yesterday I heard about a Hermes sample sale, and I thought I’d go check it out – and maybe buy my first Hermes scarf. I went after work and of course immediately found quite a few items I loved! However, they were still all over $200. I found myself standing there thinking, “Well, it’s such a good deal. I mean when am I ever going to spend thousands of dollars on a Hermes scarf? This is my opportunity to have one for a fraction of the cost.” Seriously! Seriously! What is wrong with me! I’m contemplating spending way too much money on something I don’t need and something I didn’t even think about wanting until that morning! I have a problem. Luckily I resisted, but I found myself doing the same thing earlier this week over a pair of shoes at the Prada sample sale. They were fantastic shoes, but I would have never worn them. Again, luckily I resisted.
So, what is wrong with me, us? Why does this word “sale” have this power over us?
1 comment:
Self-control is sooo over-rated. Considering I bought 3 pairs of shoes in one trip to Shoegasm, perhaps you are right: it probably was a good thing I wasn't at the Prada sample sale, there to egg you on.
Post a Comment