Monday, June 23, 2008

"Roark you're too good for what you want to do with yourself."


I'm not a reader. I never read for fun growing up. In school I barely read my required summer reading and homework assignments. Since finishing school I started to read just for fun more. Mainly chick lit, and mainly in the summer. But then 11 months ago I joined a book club - and even surprising me a little, I love it. I love the girls in our group. I love that we can have an intellectual, literary discussion over dinner. I love that we can read Twilight one month and The Fountainhead the next. I will miss my NYC Book Club. I may just need to be video conferenced in.

Last week we met for dinner at Metrazur in Grand Central to discuss The Fountainhead. I loved the book. I had never read Ayn Rand before, but will definitely be reading some of her other novels soon. It was fascinating, thought provoking, frustrating, selfish, flawed and yet amazing. And as an architecture nerd, I loved that aspect of it too. Great book. Great food. Great atmosphere. Great friends. Great time. Oh how I will miss the cool kids book club.

6 comments:

Adam and Bri said...

Kristan! Amanda told me she was going to invite you to our book club when you come back to the great state of Utah, and I want to second that invitation! It'll be great to have your wit and charm in attendance.

I don't know if we're as cool as your NYC book club (NYC is quite hip), but we can at least be your "poor man" substitute for a while. :)

Amander said...

I second what Bri said! Our group may not compare, but I am glad you are going to grace us with your presence.

nerak said...

Sniff sniff. I miss the cool kids book club already!

Britt said...

Whaaatttt...?? You have not read my favorite book of all time, Atlas Shrugged? We will be staring a two-person book club when you get back out here and that will be our first book.

And then we may need to substitute some trashy chick lit for a few months, or just watch our reruns of our favorite TV show. ;-)

Britt said...

P.S. How did you feel about Dominique??

Kristan said...

I am so excited for my new book clubs!

Hmmm, Dominiqiue . . . I hated her because she was so self-righteous and self-defeating. But I love that she lived her life for no one but herself and owned that trait, and I loved how flawed she was. Overall one of the most fascinating characters I've ever read.