Monday, September 24, 2007

Chocolaty Goodness


Last summer I made one of my all time favorite purchases . . . an ice cream maker! Basically, it's the best thing ever. Peach, Strawberry, Key Lime Pie, Cocount, Chocolate, Vanilla - I love ice cream, and I've fallen in love with making it. It really doesn't get much better than homemade ice cream.

This receipe combines two of my loves - baking and ice cream. One of the reasons I love baking so much is the science experienment of it all, and one of the things that I am endlessly captivated by is cocoa powder. Did you know that if you heat cocoa powder and water in a saucepan it will thicken up much like pudding? The natural properties of cocoa give it great thickening power. And so I tried this chocolate sorbet. No dairy and only the tiniest bit of chocolate, this is a wonderful frozen dessert with each mouthful containing an intense chocolate flavor. The flavor is so fantastic. A little scoop with some berries or on the side of pie or cake. Ahh, I'm wishing I was at home so I could go open the freezer right now.

Anyone want to come over for some?

Chocolate Sorbet

2 1/3 cups water
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup good quality cocoa powder
3 oz semisweet chocolate
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Place the cocoa powder and sugar in a saucepan. Slowly add the water in a stream, whisking until there are no lumps. Place the pan on the heat and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. When it has come to a full boil, lower the heat slightly and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

2. Remove from the heat and immediately add the chopped chocolate and espresso powder. Stir with a whisk until the chocolate is melted and combined. Add the vanilla, cover, and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled (at least 3 hours).

3. Give the mixture a good stir, then churn in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions.

3 comments:

kez said...

I want some! Correction, I need some. Tonight...tonight we are eating chocolate and watching Piz!!

nerak said...

You know you can lure me to PHA with promises of treats any day of the week. However, this particular case gives me one more reason to hate/dread/resent my pending recruiting trip to Penn State... Wish me luck...

MishMyBelle said...

that looks heavenly! Wish I was there to indulge! Did you give in and watch FNL yet??