There was one class I wanted to take during my undergrad that I never could fit in my schedule. Floral Design. Lauren took it, and I was always so jealous. So since I'm back at BYU and can't leave again with another regret, I took Floral Design this semester. I mentioned this one day at the beginning of the semester and my friend Nicole decided to take it with me.
Oh the stories I could tell you about taking a class with a bunch of freshman - and a really crazy professor. Actually, I will tell you one.
Warning: this is going to be a long post.
One day the professor pulled out a bunch of ties and put them on the front table. Normally she would pull out flowers, but no, this time it was ties. Then she told all of the guys in the room to come to the front, grab a tie and introduce themselves. Yes, she called out all of the guys in the class (of about 200) and "rewarded" them for being in a "girly" class (her words, not mine). Then she had them introduce themselves - name, major and marital status. Yes, marital status. Nicole and I looked at each other in complete shock. Yup, it really happened. I was so glad Nicole was there to laugh, judge and mock with me. And of course I pulled out my camera.
Each week we had a new topic and in lab created a new design. We didn't have a whole lot of choice when it came to flower selection and color, so not everything is what I would have purchased but they were all interesting to learn about and fun to make. Here are some of the things I did.
Wrapping a Bouquet
Bud Vase
Boutonnières
Silk/Everlast Design
Secret: I don't like silk flowers, so I just bought real ones. Shhh :)
Japanese Design
I hated this so much that after a few days I threw it away.
Glass Cubes
A current trend I love.
Bridal Bouquets
I've never had a problem with my really small hands until trying to make a bridal bouquet. So much to hold in one hand. I unwrapped the bouquet when I got home, and the roses opened up to be huge and gorgeous. Two weeks later, the white roses are still on my desk.
Spring Design
My absolute favorite. We had the most flowers, including my new favorite - Persian buttercups or Ranunculus. So colorful and beautiful. Plus I was able to use my Waterford vase from London that I love.
So now I'm a complete flower nerd. I recognize them everywhere. I identify them in the background of movies. I try to dissect the arrangement on the tables at events. I ask about variety names. I ask for things like high petal count. I just look at things differently. It's so much fun. I love it.
And I have a new favorite flower. Persian buttercups - Ranunculus. Beautiful. Add them to the list of my favorites with peonies, tulips, hydrangeas . . . well really the list could go on and on. I've loved having fresh flowers in my house all semester!
7 comments:
I've always wanted to take a class like that, but I feel severely handicapped by my lack of creativity.
Your arrangements were beautiful!
Either those boys are trying to meet girls or they haven't come out of the closet yet. lol.
I love all of your designs you are talented!
Yay for taking the class! It looks like it was slightly different than when I took it, but you still had to do the yucky Asian design. Seriously when will we ever decide that our dinner table needs an Asian centerpiece?!
Love Persian buttercups.
I love Ranunculas. And tulips. Rachel took this class and I was jealous of all the arrangements she got to take home. She shared them with her sister sometimes.
You are living my dream. I really wanted to take that class too...when I was at BYU, but I never did it. Now seeing all your gorgeous arrangements, I wish I had.
WOW.. first of all the pic cracked me up.. second.. i'm really impressed with your SKILLZZZZZZ...
Why didn't you bust these skills out in the WH days? It would've beautified the place . . .
Post a Comment