Friday, May 29, 2009

No Pictures, Just Another List

This morning I went to Jazzercise with my mom, again. Welcome to living with your parents :)

Last summer I quit my job and played from Memorial Day til mid-August. This summer I went to Ghana and am now doing some consulting projects that aren't your typical 9 to 5 cubical gig. I am in Georgia living with my parents and have some free time - to say the least.

Last summer I created the "Fun – but sometimes pointless and random – Things To Do This Summer" List. This summer I decided I needed a "I Should Be A Grown-up, but Why? Endless Free Time Summer" List. I've included a few unaccomplished things from last year and added some new items, and this summer I know I can beat last year's pathetic 71 percent completion rate!

I Should Be A Grown-up, but Why? Endless Free Time Summer To Do List:

1. Find a frozen yogurt place - I have not found a single one within 20 minutes of my parents' house! This is a tragedy. How has the fro-yo craze not made it to East Cobb.
2. Write
3. Run 4 days a week - I'm hoping to be able to run a 10K without stopping by the end of the summer. Maybe a bit ambitious, but I'm going to give it a try.
4. Try Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred - I'm not an exercise video person, but since I don't have my gym membership I need to try something.
5. Pilates twice a week
6. Jazzercise, when Mom makes me
7. Cloudy day = Work I can be unproductive (read: go to the pool) on sunny days.
8. Weekly Chick-fil-A, DC and pool days
9. Rock at Rock Band
10. Beat Caisa at Mario Karty Party
11. Eat Bruster’s Key Lime Pie Ice Cream for breakfast - why take a good thing off the list?
12. Watch My So Called Life
13. Watch Mad Men
14. Read - I'm thinking 10 books in 10 weeks. I'll start with, to quote Sam, "You're reading a book about shoes!?!" To which I responded, "It's a business book." :) The Towering World of Jimmy Choo
15. Good to Great
16. Blink
17. A Short History of Nearly Everything
18. Rhett Butler’s People - I'll give it a second shot.
19. Eats, Shoots & Leaves
20. Book 7 . . . recommendations?
21. Book 8 . . . recommendations?
22. Book 9 . . . recommendations?
23. Book 10 . . . recommendations?
24. Take one of MIT's free online classes
25. Take a local class for something
26. Take Two of a Baking Adventure with Caisa
27. Visit Charleston
28. Enjoy Hilton Head
29. Eat at Paula Deen's Lady and Sons in Savannah
30. Visit DC
31. Try things I've never tried before

What would you do if you had some free time? I'm open to adding to my list!

12 comments:

becca said...

i love love my so-called life.

i don't know if you've read these or not, but they're my favorites:
•the road
•the history of love
•extremely loud and incredibly close
•a thousand splendid suns
•the kite runner
•mama day
•the bell jar
•maynard & jennica (this is a great one for if you're missing nyc)
•house on mango street (short stories)
•watership down
•the fountainhead

hmm, ok, that is a lot.

hope that helps!

nerak said...

How about coming to NYC June 19-22? Michele and I are both going to be there... Michele, you, me, Holly, Bryndee, it would be like old times! You must come.

Red said...

If I had free time, I would visit you in ATL. I want to go to the GWTT Museum and eat at Paula Dean's restaurant. Can I????

Shannan Monson said...

i want you to know. #26. i nailed it. for the record.

Kristan said...

Thanks for all the suggestions Becca!

And Rach, visitors are always welcome!

Shannan, pa-lease.

Caisa said...

8 & 9: i CANNOT wait for. seriously, since shannan left the sky has been gray. apparently, they call it may gray. nbfs, the temple blends in with the sky.
10. good luck.
11. i'm craving key lime pie ice cream. how about you add go back to key west to the list? i could go for a frozen key lime pie dipped in chocolate.
26. i think this time will have a much better outcome. and if not, we know how to make a mean triffle!
29. i plan on joining you in this goal. i mean we'll have plenty of time.

ahhh! im so excited. i mean i love my daily life of sleeping in, getting sun, working out, and coaching. really it's a pretty sweet gig. but, i miss YOU!

Kate said...

I really have so much to say about this entry . . .

1) I made a similar list last summer . . . it included things like eat lots of orange sherbet, eat lots of grapeade snowcones, run/Kathy Ireland 3 times a week . . . I better figure out my list for this summer . . . isn't great to have to think of ways to fill your time?

2) You'll have to tell me how PD's restaurant is . . . I think she is so funny.

3) I think you should read Outliers & The Kite Runner & Left to Tell & The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time if you have not read those books yet . . .

4) Miss you!

Jenna said...

Wow you get to live the dream once again!!! I think you can beat the 71% success rate. I'm rooting for you!!!

Em said...

When are you going to be in DC? I'll be there June 30-July3rd or something like that. Hopefully you will be there the same time and we can grab a bite together.

Whitney Elizabeth said...

I can help you with #30!!!!!!!!!!!

Paige said...

LOVE your list Kristan! Sounds like the perfect summer 2009. I just want to say that I am "totally crushing" on your summer list. I give two thumbs up to Jillian's 30 Day Shred videos. I LOVE them! Great workout. I'd also like to second Katie's recommendation of Outliers. After you read Blink, definitely give Outliers a try. Love your guts! Keep us posted on your list.

Angela said...

I liked last summer's list more, this one is too sensible...I vote for taking off running the 10k and putting on more pool days.