Sunday, July 20, 2008

Stone Mountain

How do I explain Stone Mountain to a non-Georgian? It is where we go to pay homage to our lost beloved Confederate States of America. The shrine – I mean sculpture monument – features Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis. The actual “mountain” is a large granite rock about five miles in circumference at its base. From the top you can see (on a nice day) from the Atlanta skyline to the Appalachian Mountains. I remember learning in school that something like three school buses can fit inside General Lee’s horse’s mouth and that the whole carving is about the size of a football field. Who knows if any of that is correct?

But the best part about Stone Mountain is the Lasershow they project on the mountain in the summer. A patriotic tribute from our CSA roots to The Devil Went Down to Georgia and the Star Spangled Banner. Families will cover every square-inch of grass with their blankets, bring their Coke and KFC, brave the humid summer nights and let their children run wild in the park all afternoon just in anticipation of this evening event.


What do you do when you are waiting for it to get dark? Take self portraits and play Phase 10 of course.




It’s a summer must. Fireworks included.


4 comments:

KJB said...

I haven't been to stone mountain in YEARS! But I was grateful for the phone call so i could be there in spirit for Dixie! :)

Jenna said...

I totally miss Stone Mountain...gotta love the good ole Southern traditions

Em said...

I love Stone Mountain. It is such a great place...I'm glad to know that others enjoy it as much if not more than I do. Please tell me you sang, "Dixie!" It's not the same without doing that. :)

Anonymous said...

"How do I explain Stone Mountain to a non-Georgian?"

Very good question. I tried to explain it to Jeff and finally flew him 3,000 miles south to see this shrine! He laughed the whole time -- perhaps at the ample mullets and plethora of NASCAR clothing...

That said, I too love Stone Mtn :)