
I finished the Josephine Bonaparte series by Sandra Gulland at the beach – The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B.; Tales of Passion, Tales of Woe; and The Last Great Dance on Earth. I highly recommend the series. I love historical fiction - just enough history to make me want to learn more and yet enough chick lit to make it a very easy and fun read.
I only loosely remembered details about the French Revolution and Napoleon so I was completely enthralled with the story. The books are written as Josephine’s diary entries, depicting her life from growing up in Martinique, moving to Paris, her first marriage, her time in prison during the Terror and her life with Napoleon. Getting to know Josephine was fascinating, compelling and entertaining. She worked her way up from nothing to becoming Empress. I was completely heartbroken by the end.
It was also an interesting insight into the expected role of women in 18th century Europe. It made me sick to read about a man’s “right” to mistresses and how it was best for the wife to “be blind.” Reading comments like this just had me fuming: “I will own that my preference is for fidelity, Bonaparte, but I believe I can learn to live without it if I must – so long as I have your love.” WHAT!! As long as you love me the most you can get your physical pleasures elsewhere!
Rachel thanks so much for the recommendation!
Now I’m on to Rhett and Scarlett – oh how I love Rhett and Scarlett!
1 comment:
I can tell you are going to be an EXCELLENT book club member :)
Post a Comment