Sunday, August 8, 2010

My Work in Progress

The first day I drove up to SLC to look at apartments, this condo was my last stop for the day. I think I had started at about 8am, and I met my landlord at 7:30pm. It had been a long day. I'm not exaggerating when I say this was the 9th or 10th apartment I had looked. I remember walking out thinking, "grandmas." A few days later I kept thinking about it and made an appointment to go back. This time I remember thinking, "better than I remembered." After a few more "What am I doing? I can't make a decision. I don't want to have to make a decision. Why do I feel like a 12 month lease is this such a big deal." days, I signed the lease.

I think buying a couch was my next big decision. I hated that just as much as signing a lease. You would have thought I was signing my life away. It must have been a really fun few weeks to be my friend - scratch that - sister and roommate (and not necessarily by choice). I think Caisa suffered the majority of my stressing, whining, inability to make a decision and constant questioning.

I've always been an accessories girl - just look at my shoes, jewelry and bag collection. So after a few larger purchases, the fun stuff has been in the details.

I won't say "after" photos, so here is the work in progress.

Walking through the front door.



The dining area - with the chairs that I LOVE. I picked out the fabric and my amazing mother made the slipcovers from 2,000 miles away. A.Maz.Ing.


The beautiful sunflowers are from the Farmer's Market I am quickly falling in love with. And the drum pendant light fixture is one of my favorite little improvements.


And through the saloon doors into the kitchen - that so desperately needed color.





The goal is to plant some herbs - we'll see if I actually buy some soil to plant the seeds.


And my ceilings aren't high, but I still need my step stool. Laugh away Shannan.


Back out to the main living area.





I love my view.


Then through the hall to the bathroom and bedroom.


I had to leave some charm. I mean. It's a pineapple. How could I take that down :)


The bathroom. I feel like it was screaming for some romantic, antique look with white ruffles, but I just couldn't give up my yellow city.




Shannan laughed at me for all of my little storage boxes labeled and nicely organizing my stuff. I don't know why she was so surprised? :)


Into the bedroom.


The view from my bed - I like waking up at the beach.


The mirrored dresser I love.


The "adventures in living alone" shelves.



The "salmon" colored chair I fell in love with. Me? A pink chair? Yup.


Have I mentioned I love my closet? Love. It was a selling point. It's the largest closet I've ever had. Did I just spend four sentences talking about my closet - oh I'm still talking about it. Summer clothes. Winter clothes. Dresses. Pants. There is room for everything!



Including my shoes :)



So there you have it. My place.

I really love coming home at night. And I love visitors!

15 comments:

NatAttack said...

I'm loving that someone else puts up as many (or more?!) photos as I do. Your place is adorable!

Shannan Monson said...

how DARE you skip the highlight of the hallway. i was going to catch up on your blog but now i refuse.

Kristan said...

Nat - I know. A little out of control.

Shannan - I had to read that twice to realize what you were talking about :) haha

Kristan said...

And! You can see it in the hallway picture!

Lauren F. said...

um i'm prety much in love with your place! can you come decorate my house when we finally buy?

Paige said...

So...stinking...cute!!! I love it Kristan! I especially love the new touches that you have added since the last time I saw it. The chairs are amazing!! Way to go Mom Brooks! Everything is just adorable. Love your place...and love visiting you!

Em Levy {orange + barrel} said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! You have great style!

MishMyBelle said...

I love your place!! Now, I just need to come and see it in person.

elizabeth said...

Love the chairs. I think I would have to agree with you. Love the photo gallery too. And the closets. You would really appreciate it after you see a picture of mine.

Em said...

I love it and I want you to come and organize my closets with labeled boxes. I love that. I also want to come visit. I am thinking of coming up for a BYU game this year. Even though you live in SLC, would you consider going back to Provo for a game?

nerak said...

I don't know where to begin to tell you all the things I love about your apt. I guess I'll just tell you in person in 3 weeks! :) And good thing you like visitors, because I'm really good at visiting!

tiffany garfield photography said...

Kristan! You're place is awesome!!! I love the herbs ont eh wall idea! I LOVE your table and chairs, your pillows and your computer area. Oh and your shoes :) So glad I know you have a blog. So excited to keep up with you. I hope you love Salt Lake and your new job! :)

Whitney Elizabeth said...

love love love it all. maybe i could hire you to decorate my shoebox apartment?

Connie said...

I love what you have done with the place! The slipcovers are adorable. I am also having pangs of closet envy at the moment.

Michelle said...

I love it! You are an awesome decorator. I love those chairs too. Your mom is amazing with her sewing machine. I also love the yellow kitchen-aid. Who knew they came in yellow! Thanks for sharing. I want to come visit too:)