Thursday, December 20, 2007

Introducing Guest Blogger Miss KZ

Growing up I was lucky enough to always have my own room, so imagine my surprise when I moved into the dorms in college and my roommates told me that I talked in my sleep. Apparently I would have full on conversations with them. Who knew? A few years later I had a roommate who was fascinated by the fact that I never had "morning voice." She later attributed that to the fact that I never stop talking. And now, the lovely KZ gets to (or is that has to) listen to me in my sleep. She always cracks me up with stories about what I did or said in my sleep, and this post had me laughing so hard I had to try to contain myself in my little cube so my co-workers wouldn't think I'm too crazy.

So now I introduce to you the first guest blogger on And I Mean That In The Nicest Possible Way. The floor (or is that post) is yours Miss KZ . . .

First of all, let me just say what an honor and privilege it is to be a guest on your blog. Especially considering I gave up updating mine months ago…it’s kind of nice to be back in the blogging world.

We all know that Kristan prides herself on speaking her mind. And if you don’t know that you obviously don’t know her and have stumbled upon this blog through a Google search or by linking off a friend’s or something. Regardless, she’s a woman who never wants for words…not even in her sleep.

Not long after moving into the room with Kristan I discovered that she talks in her sleep. A lot. And it isn’t your average mumble-as-you-roll-over kind of sleep-talking either. It’s pronounced. It’s direct. And it demands a response.

I’m not kidding. One of my favorite sleep-talking moments was when Kristan asked me a question (you’ll have to forgive me for not remembering what it was because I was asleep when she asked me, you see) and I (once again, being asleep) did not respond. I was awoken by Kristan flailing her arm in frustration, hitting her bed and saying in the most exasperated tone “Karen! I asked you a question!! What do you have to say?!”

What did I have to say? I sat up wide-eyed and confused (and I’ll confess even a little scared) and asked her what on earth she was talking about but she didn’t respond. It took me a few seconds to realize that she was asleep. I didn’t sleep well the rest of that night because I kept waiting for her to repeat the question/performance. Classic.

In all honesty, I’m a little surprised that she doesn’t wake herself up sometimes when she talks because Heather’s even commented about how she’s heard her all the way downstairs before. I’m telling you, Kristan doesn’t even cut herself any slack when she talks in her sleep. It’s go big or go home. Sometimes I’m convinced she has woken herself up because she’ll move so much. Once I awoke to Kristan as she let out a sort of frustrated groan before SITTING UP, throwing both arms out and waving them in vexation while declaring “I don’t know! I just don’t know!”. I sat up and asked her what but, obviously, she didn’t respond. She sighed and put her head back on her pillow. I was once again left dazed and wondering "did that really just happen or am I dreaming?”

Kristan is brutally honest even when she’s sleep-talking. But what else would we expect? Kristan is Kristan even when she sleeps. Just as in her waking moments, if Kristan doesn’t want to do something, she won’t do it. There was a going-away party for someone several weeks ago (maybe even months by now, they’re all running together) and Kristan referenced it in her sleep. She obviously didn’t want to go because she said, in a way and tone that only Kristan can say it, “Ugh. I’m NOT going. I don’t even know so-and-so. No way.”

So, there you have it, a little further insight into the world of Kristan. Perhaps I’ll even be back with more hilarious sleep-talking updates one day if I’m permitted. You should look forward to it. :)

2 comments:

nerak said...

We should have a sleep-off Kristan. See who does the weirdest things in their sleep. This post cracked me up. I'm pretty sure you'll win the vocally abusive category. :)

Shannan Monson said...

a. I can't believe there's only one comment.
b. I literally almost wet myself this post is so funny.
c. "mmmm...pretty"
"what is, kristan?"
"me. your face."
d. i'm thrilled there's so many old posts i never knew about.