This is a story about shame.
I read the first book as part of my NYC ladies book club. Most of us continued reading the rest of the series. I admit it. The books are less plot than endless yearning. I know. It’s bad. It’s stupid. And then the first Twilight movie. I refused to see it when it first came out. I refused to see it in the Utah madness. Then I saw it. And I laughed through the whole thing. It was ridiculous. The dialogue was stupid. It was just plain bad. But Rob Pattinson grew on me. I was kind of horrified with myself, but over the summer I found myself eating Red Vines and watching the movie – or really just select scenes – in the theatre with Shannan and Sam over and over again. One minute I’m a functioning member of society, and the next I’m succumbing to the dark side. I have an unhealthy obsession with fictional characters.
I don’t want to hear how you read a chapter of Twilight and it was awful. I don’t want to hear how illogical the story is. I don’t want to hear how you think RPatz is not attractive. I don’t want to hear that Edward and Jacob aren’t real. I don’t want to hear that my brain is rotting and my sense of reality is distorted. I know. I know. I know. It’s embarrassing to love something you wish you hated. But I don’t. And I’m embracing it. Here on my public blog. There I said it. So if you care to hear about my New Moon craziness, read on . . .
I went to a 12:43am showing on opening day. Which I had no business doing since I’d been up since 6am and was on-campus until 10pm, oh and I had 8am class the next morning. But boy did I get “the experience” by going to the midnight showing. Complete with standing outside the movie theater in lines with hundreds of little girls – freezing, since you know it was Midnight in Utah in November. Complete with completely turning my head and dodging the new cameras from shame. But one of the guys in my program rented out a theatre for his wife and the other MBA wives and the women, so I had to show my support. I mean I didn’t go because I wanted to see the movie the minute it was released. I went because my friend rented out a theatre. Right? :)
A few highlights:
- Having to stop for Red Vines and Milk Duds on the way to the theatre.
- Going with Shannan. It was so great blaming my attendance on “my little sister.” Plus, her comments, ohhhs and ahhs, gasps and laughs were hysterical.
- Reminding myself that Taylor Lautner is 17. Rob is 23 . . . that’s so much more acceptable, right :)
- When Jacob walked out towards the end of the movie with a shirt on (something that he usually hadn’t been sporting) and Shannan said (rather loudly), “Why’d he put his shirt back on?” I – and everyone around us – couldn’t stop laughing.
Oh and don’t think the New Moon fun stopped in Utah. Thanksgiving break was Twilight filled too.
- First, my Aunt bought us “boyfriends” for Thanksgiving dinner. She didn’t want the single sisters to feel left out. We were thankful.
- And then we went to New Moon (yes, again) with my Aunt, Uncle, 14 and 11 year-old male cousins (oh, so great), Grandma, Mom and the sisters.
And on what I feel like is a non-Twilight, yet Twilight comment. I'm kind of in love with the New Moon soundtrack. Even you haters would enjoy it.
8 comments:
I'm not a Twilight hater at all! I was not a fan of the New Moon book, however, so I haven't been all that excited to see the movie.
And YES, 23 v. 17 is WAY more acceptable.
"One minute I’m a functioning member of society, and the next I’m succumbing to the dark side."
Favorite. line. ever. You're hysterical. I love this post almost as much as I love Edward and Jacob. Can I play both teams?
Oh Krissy...I might need to come up there and shake you out of this Twilight trance. Ha ha!! Well, at least you admit that it's a stupid story and terrible acting. Enjoy your guilty pleasure. I'm not going to say anything, even though I hate Twilight with a passion. I'm going to let it go this time. :)
Your entire family might have an unhealthy obsession with cardboard cut outs and faces on a stick.
I went to see New Moon with Rachel when I was home for Thanksgiving and have to say that seeing it with a 13-year-old was such a fun experience! I know you love Edward, but I'm totally Team Jacob. And I tell myself he's older than he is (but, I guess I'm just following my pattern of having a crush on young celebrities, given that I still think Zac Efron is adorable)
At least you didn't paint "Honk if you love Edward! I drive like a Cullen!" on the back window of your car, like so many other obsessed people. You are sane enough to realize it is insanity, that counts for something right?
I went. I loved it. I have a crush on a 17 year old.
Awkward.
Post a Comment