
During a moment of shopping weakness about a month ago I purchased an Amaryllis holiday kit. All I had to do was take the bulbs out of the box, add the prepackaged soil to the pot and water. Easy enough. I thought it would be a nice holiday addition for the apartment. I watered it every now and then and didn't think anything of it.
I don't have children. I don't have pets. I don't have plants. (And I feel like it goes in that order. If you don't have children, you get a pet, and if you don't have a pet you get a plant.) I don't have anything that needs me. I don't have anything that grows. And I certainly don't get excited about that growth.
How is this all connected? Well, when I sat down on the couch after my trip to NYC I became "that girl." I saw my little bulbs and they had grown so much while I had been gone. I instantly thought, "Oh, look how big you've gotten." Eww, even just typing it again makes me sick. I was instantly disgusted with myself. I wanted to take the thought back. But I couldn't. I had honestly thought it. I was ashamed of myself. "That girl." That girl who needs something. That girl who has a plant because she doesn't have children to watch grown. Eww, I always hated those girls. I was getting excited about a stupid plant.
I don't have children. I don't have pets. But apparently, I am now "that girl" who has plants instead.
If I wasn't going out of town again (and the bulbs will hopefully be blooming when I get back), I might have just thrown the plant away right then.
7 comments:
I will still respect you in the morning.
Lets just be "those girls" with the amazing shoe collection who happen to have green thumbs.
At least you are one of "those girls" that can actually make something grow...I have no children, no pets, and I can't get a plant to stay alive to save my own life! Now that is sad.
I'm so proud of your nuturing self :) Such an accomplishment! I have a hard time with plant-- jon takes them over for me.
Hey. I became that girl 4 years ago. Now I always have something growing in my house. I didn't think anything was wrong with that. Now I do. I'd better get a pet.
Funny.
Hahahaha. I seriously laughed out loud because I thought I could be one of those girls who at least had a plant....dude, it died. I can't even keep a plant alive.
Plant girls, or girls like me with dead plants are just doomed to have wildly successful professional lives and no plants. It isn't so bad!
Post a Comment