Saturday, September 10, 2011

Summer Projects - The Easy Two

I've learned many lessons from my Dad, but over the last few weeks one lesson in particular keeps popping in my head.

If you think you can do something yourself to save a little money, you can't. It will end up costing you more in the long run - in time, frustration and dollars.

I don't know why I won't just accept it. I see these DIY projects and think I can do them. Brooks are not handy. I can jerry-rig just about anything, but if you want it made well that's another story. I should have learned this the first time I tried to put together Ikea furniture. I should have learned this a million other times. But apparently my memory gets a little fuzzy.

This summer I tackled three "projects." The first and third were executed exquisitely. They were simple and easy - my type of projects. The second was the project that would never end - more to come. But what I did well were:

My Antique Coca-Cola Crate
I can't find a before picture, but I found an old Coca-Cola crate at an antique store that was going out of business. I had absolutely no need or any idea what to do with it, but I loved it and for 60% off I couldn't say no. It was dirty and dusty with old glass bottle rings stained on the bottom and rust all around the edges. Well I took my little sander (the best purchase ever to come out of the disastrous project #2) and sanded down the rust, sanded off the "Boise, Idaho" stamp and smoothed out the wood. Then I added a polyurethane glossy finish which made the red pop and the fear of splinters disappear. Let's just say I'm beyond proud of myself. It looks awesome and now has a home on my table for mail, books and even flowers.


My Wall Gallery
I have a weakness for prints and photography, and Etsy, Pintrest and blogs have provided me so many fantastic finds! I finally framed a handful and created a wall gallery behind my couch.


There is the London canvas from Kelli where 9 years ago (9! how did that happen?) I fell in love with cities, traveling and accents. The green calligraphy "K" from Shannan full of Kristan-isms. Peonies from Nice. A "Live What You Love" letterpress print. The "Day 2" couple in the rain photograph I find incredibly romantic. An East 63rd St NYC consignment shop find. And the three newest additions:

A little Beach Boys love,


The key to my heart,


and the biggest compliment I could ever give you.


Look what I can do when I combine my shopping problem and a few weekend afternoons.

No comments: