Monday, March 28, 2011

Dear Avis, Please Fire Your Norwalk, CT Employee

Imagine this:

Last week I arrive in Connecticut after traveling all day and have exactly 35 minutes to pick-up my rental car and meet some co-workers for dinner at a restaurant about 15 minutes from the rental location. No big deal. I already have a reservation with completed paperwork and just need to pick-up the keys. I've rented a car many times before, and at this specific location multiple times as well. I walk up to the counter, and the drama begins.

K: "Hi. The last name is B. Here are my license and credit card."
. . .
Incompetent Avis Employee: "I'm sorry your license is being denied."
K: "That's weird. I don't have any outstanding tickets or issues. It hasn't expired. There should not be any issues."
IAE: "Let me call . . . Yes, it's an issue with the DMV; your license has been revoked."
Minor internal freak out begins. I seriously have no idea what is going on. I rented a car with this license less than two weeks before.
IAE: "In fact I'm not suppose to give your license back to you."
MAJOR internal freak out begins. I'm sorry what! I have to have my license in order to get through airport security and go home. Scenes of calling friends to break into my apartment and overnight my passport begin running through my head.
K: "There must be some sort of mistake. Can you please run the number again."
IAE: "No. You have to take this up with the DMV."

I begin a long and annoying negotiation to have him give me my licence back and finally succeed. Then I begin a long and unsuccessful negotiation to get him to retry the number. Then I begin another unsuccessful conversation asking for another number, Avis manager or customer service rep I can call. I give up and ask what my alternatives are and what he would recommend I do. Completely unhelpful, I finally just ask him to call me a taxi.

I get in a taxi, running late to dinner, wondering what on earth I did to get my license revoked and just how long I've been on the lamb. I get distracted by images of Veronica Mars joking about "being on the lamb" and then entertained by how amused I am for being able to use the phrase "on the lamb" even if it is not 100% accurate. There is nothing I can do until the DMV opens the next day.

I call the DMV the next morning and get the usual DMV run-around. After being transferred roughly fourteen times, I'm told that the status on the license is "Active." Do I jump for joy at this information? No. I get fuming mad at Avis for the gigantic inconvenience, complete incompetence and rude customer service. I then laugh with my co-workers about not actually being on the lamb, and go and pick-up my rental car.

So what does the same Avis employee say to me after I tell him there isn't an issue with my license after all, "Here are your key."

What he didn't tell me . . . oh and by the way the car I'm giving you is on Empty.

Thanks. Thanks a lot.

8 comments:

Whitney Elizabeth said...

hahah this would only happen to you Kristan. I'm shocked you couldn't talk your way into leaving the first time with a rental car. What's happened??
And fyi Diddy rarely travels with a license or a passport (so diddy- i know) They just put him through extra security and its no biggie. kinda scary, but good to know for next time you get arrested and loose your license :)

Lauren F. said...

How have I not heard this story yet?!

Caisa said...

i think this deserves an actual angry letter. not just one in your head aka on your blog....
...
...
...
how does it feel to be on the lamb? have the cops crawling all over you? i would just think you want to close your eyes and pray for it all to end. huh? what do you think?

Natalie said...

Seriously? I agree with Caisa, write a real letter because that is awful. I'm always glad when I stop by your blog. Why are you not in my reader? Well...I'm going to fix that right now.

elizabeth said...

I can't believe they felt like they had the right to take your license away. That's crazy.

Samantha Brooks said...

hahahaha i love your hate letters. but im with caisa on this one..i would actually send it in.

Brent said...

I hope you get this message...or I guess I can FB you, but first of all I read your blog probably once a week...completely enjoy it! Having a bridal shower for Mere and want the Brooks girls there! Sent an invite to Shannan, but wanted to send one to you for the "Sistas"! It's April 13th in AF. Hope to see you there, so send me your address!
Love, Mamie

Em said...

I agree...an angry letter is a must! I also have to say that this is a story that could only happen to you. The joys of travel...they make for some great stories. Glad you are free and clear and that I don't have to visit you in prison! :)