Thursday, December 2, 2010

the best of what the holidays have to offer


(the card you sadly won't be getting with cookies, because I couldn't find it in time)

You may remember that the Brooks are a bit of a Christmas tree snob family. I've been debating on what to do for my place. I just can't bring myself to purchase a fake tree, but do I really need a real one? It's a fair amount of work. And I'd have to get decorations. And lights. And a stand. And I'm not home that often . . . So while at Target today I bought a Christmas tree candle. (and then found out they don't sell matches, but that's another story) I thought I'd buy a wreath, light a candle and pull out the few decorations I have. So I did. But what happened when I was driving home and passed a little Christmas tree farm? Well in Whoville, they say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day. :)

Tree, I love you.


Even without all of the sisters, my Brooks ability to pick the perfect male "helper" was confirmed today. "M'am let me know if I can help pull out any trees and turn them around for you." Why yes, yes you can. And then just as I'd decided on a tree, "I do love this tree, but there isn't any chance that you have Noble Firs instead of this Grand Fir, is there? Oh you do! Can you show me those!"

And now for the things you all wish you could have seen me do tonight:
1. Put the tree in the stand
2. Move back and forth between trying to tighten the stand and making sure the tree was straight
3. Poor water in the stand without spilling it all over the carpet
4. Put lights on the tree. Dad always does this, and I honestly had no idea there was skill involved. There is. And I need more lights.
5. Tie a bow . . . really it was quite pathetic.

I turned the Christmas music up. Decorated. Sang. Stopped to smell the tree a million times. Pulled out my holiday cards and started writing.

It's going to be a great December!

5 comments:

nerak said...

sounds like a perfectly festive and lovely evening.

Em Levy {orange + barrel} said...

yay!!!! I love it!

Caisa said...

ah. so sad i missed this. i really would have loved the straightening of the tree part.

Kate said...

I am going to get a tree today. It sounds exhausting, but you have motivated me!

elizabeth said...

Why doesn't Target sell matches?