
The House of Mirth by Edith Warton
New York Society in the 1900s. Lily Bart . . . not to be confused with Lily van der Woodsen for the GG fans. It took me the whole first week at the beach to get through it, but I did enjoy it. An interesting glimpse of society, women's roles and the early 1900s.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
When I pulled it out both Sam and Shannan told me they had read it for required reading in high school. It is brilliant, smart, funny and incredibly clever. I highly recommend it; I couldn't put it down and finished it in a day.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
I've wanted to read this book for a couple years, and I'm glad I finally did. I loved it! I couldn't put it down. (Incidentally, Shannan and Sam told me they also read this one for high school.) The story follows a nine-year-old grieving his father’s death in the attacks on September 11th, but I really felt the book was about family. A great read.

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Known for her poetry, this is Sylvia Plath's only novel and it is kind of autobiographical. It's kind of dark and depressing at times, but overall an interesting coming of age story.
After finishing these and still having a few days I picked up a young adult fiction series my sisters had been reading. Now you know I'm a nerd. And you know I have a weak spot for teen movies and books. So naturally I loved these too. But trust me.
If you want to be as cool as Veronica Mars and Michael Weston. If you love James Bond and Jason Bourne. If you've ever wished you could plant a bug in someones room. If you secretly want to go to spy school - because I mean come on who doesn't :) You. Need. To. Read. These. Books. They are light and fun and just plain adorable.
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You,
Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy and
Don't Judge a Girl By Her Cover
by Ally Carter.
The Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women claims to be a private school for geniuses, but it's actually a spy school. And I want to go.


5 comments:
I LOVED the curious incident with the dog in the night. It appealed to my nerdy math brain.
I haven't been reading much since the CFA, so I went to the bookstore last night and had a fabulous time picking out some new books.
And then I came home and watched 3 hours of television. What is wrong with me?
You are becoming so literate. Good on ya!
Let's get a rah rah rah for TCIOTDITNT.
Love The Curious Incident!
Also enjoyed the Bell Jar.
I need to read ELAIC - always wanted to, but your review put it over the edge :)
Thanks for the recommendations! I too enjoyed the curious incident with the dog in the night. I am pretty jealous of your summer. Africa, beach trips, reading endless books...sounds like quite the life!
I too have read the spy girl books! I am a closet teen lit addict, they are the most entertaining reads in my opinion...
Post a Comment