Thursday, January 22, 2009

This face? Right here? This is my I Hate Your Stinkin' Guts face.


I have this habit that when something bad happens I start writing an angry letter to the company in my head. I have no idea how this started, but I do it all the time. Sometimes I actually do write and send a letter, but usually it never leaves my head.

Dear Cinemark,

Movies are an excellent entertainment indulgence. Your customers go to you for an enjoyable, relaxing treat to escape the reality of their lives. However after a recent experience with two different Cinemark theatre I think you are far from "The Best Seat in Town." Your inability to care about your customers is beyond comprehension.

Last Monday, the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, I decided to make my holiday a movie day. I love going to movies, and Monday was going to be a double-header movie day. (BTW, if you think planning to see or just doing a double-header movie day is crazy . . . don't tell me, I would be forced to judge you. It is completely normal behavior.) Now planning a double-header isn't easy. It takes planning. I checked the movies I wanted to see. I checked the local theatre schedules. I checked run times. I worked it all out to see Bride Wars at 4:45 and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button at 6:30. Perfect.

Problem #1: I show up at the new University Mall theatre a few minutes before Bride Wars starts. The parking lot is empty. I think it's kind of bizarre, but maybe I'm just at an in-between time. I show up at the door and see the sign. "We are closed today due to a power outage. We will reopen Tuesday." WHAT!!! My plan is now ruined. How dare you!?! Could you not coordinate with Fandango to let people know!?! How can a power outage last all day!?! What kind of business establishment lets a problem like that happen on a business day!?! On a holiday!?! I can not even imagine how many other customers you infuriated that day, let alone your lost revenue.

Still determined to see at least one movie, I google texted movies to figure out if I could go to another theatre in the area. My double-header plan was ruined, but I was determined to salvage my afternoon. Bingo, there was a Bride Wars showing in an hour at your Provo Towne Center theatre. Disappointed but still optimistic, I made my way over to that theatre and . . .

Problem #2: "Sorry miss, we cancelled the 5:45 Bride Wars showing in order to have an extra showing of Mall Cop. Would you like a ticket to the 6:45 showing?" ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!! First a power outage, now Mall Cop! This is far too much effort for Bride Wars! "Fine, I'll take a ticket to the 6:45 showing."

In the future when I am planning to see a movie, I will not be checking Cinemark theatres. Consider this customer lost. I'll be taking my double-header movie days elsewhere.

K

Angry letters = Anger. Exaggeration. Pure fun.

5 comments:

Em said...

I love this about you. Letters written in anger are a great stress reliever! I say you should send it...maybe you'll get a freee ticket out of it. :)

KJB said...

That picture is a scary resemblence...are you sure that's not you as a child?

Amander said...

Oooh, I love to write angry letters. And sometimes I actually email them to businesses!

I am very passionate about customer service :)

Samantha Brooks said...

hahahahahahaha. what is wrong with you?! and i would like you to post your angry letter to universal.

Anonymous said...

haha I found you via blog stalking:) You have just been added to my favorite persons list. We should have a night of laughing again... and thank you again for letting us crash on your couch!