Tuesday, November 3, 2009

#7 Channeling Matty Saracen

Add this to the list of things you never thought I would do: Play Flag Football. That’s right, this year I decided to play on the MBA women’s intramural flag football team. And guess what else, I had a blast.

Before September had I ever really thrown, caught or really even touched a football – no. Luckily I wasn’t the only one. Put a bunch of type-A personalities who don’t like to lose and usually are pretty good at everything they do and ask them to play flag football – against a bunch of girls 5 to 10 years younger than them. Hilarity ensues. And a bunch of penalties. Caisa and Shannan said they loved coming to my games because they were so entertaining. It was a great season.


Here are some of my favorite moments:

1. Practice. Yes, we had practices. It was pretty funny watching two guys in the program try to teach us football. Some favorite moments:
Coach: “Okay, I want you to be the slot.”
Girl: “You want me to be what?”
Coach: “The slot.”
Girl: “Slot. So not what I thought you said.”
Girl: “Wait. I don’t know what that is.”

Coach: “Here are our routes. In, Slant in, Out, Slant out, and Streak.”
Girl: “Oh so now I’m a streaking slut.”

2. About five minutes into our first game it started to rain. I looked at my teammates and asked why we were still playing. I’d never played football before and there I was playing – and freezing – in the rain. Another thing I thought I’d never do.

3. Game 1: 0-0 We didn’t lose!
Game 2: 0-something high
Game 3: 0-something high
New Goal: JUST SCORE
Game 4: 6-something!!! (WE SCORED!!)
New Goal: WIN!
Game 5: 7-6 WE ACTUALLY WON A GAME!!!

4. Captain Erin: "If we can’t win, get ejected."

5. Coach Rett: "Go for the knees and you shall prevail!"

6. Shannan screaming from the sidelines: "MAKE RIGGINS PROUD!" (Always made me smile)

7. After an illegal defensive tackle or some crap penalty like that. Erin, “But ref, wouldn’t you just call that good defense?”

8. Always laughing hysterically - at and with ourselves.

9. 1 tie. 2 loses. 1 win by forfeit. 1 legit win.

And #10. I. Caught. The. Ball. This deserves the story. I played defense. I’m not the fastest, and I can’t catch. But as Caisa puts it, I’m really good at getting in the way. I had quite a few sacks. Which let me tell you is fun. In Game 5, the other team was going for their extra point. I went to rush the quarterback and noticed she was going the other direction, so I decided to pop back. The next thing I know the ball is coming toward me. I throw my hands up thinking there is no way I’ll reach the ball, but I should at least pretend. And then miracle of all miracles the ball is in my hands. It felt like I was literally standing there just looking at the ball in my hands for forever thinking, did I really just caught the ball?! I really just intercepted the ball! Wait. Now what? I’m in the end zone. Doesn’t that mean this is a touchback or a safety or some football term I have no idea what it is or means? So I’m just standing there. The ref isn’t blowing the whistle. No one is grabbing my flag. No one is really doing anything. I’m just staring at the ball in my hands. The next thing I know I hear everyone on the sidelines telling me to run. So I start running. (The story from everyone in the sidelines is that I look at the sidelines, smile and then while still looking smiling I start to kind of running while still so excited I’m smiling and looking at everyone in disbelief.) So, I caught the ball. I had an interception. And that interception helped us win the game by not allowing the other team to score the extra point. And I also learned an important lesson: when you catch the ball, run. :)

It was a great season. I'm so glad I decided to play.



9 comments:

Lauren F. said...

I would have paid to see this. Maybe next year :)

Amander said...

I have to second Lauren.

Also, it sounds REALLY fun!

Em said...

This is one of my most favorite posts of all times. Riggins would be proud. I hope your coach was as cute as Riggins.

Kristan said...

Lauren, I promise the entertainment would have been well worth your money. And there is a reason I'm blogging about it AFTER the season - it was quite embarrassing at times :)

Em, if only it was Riggins! My Mom's response when I told her I was playing went something like this:
Mom: "Are you playing with boys?"
Me: "No. It's a women's league."
Mom: "Yeah I guess that would be kind of dangerous. But if you aren't doing it for the boys, then why are you playing? Are boys coaching you at least?"
Me: "Yes, mom boys are coaching us. But that is not why I'm playing."

Good times.

elizabeth said...

I love how your mom thinks the only reason you would be playing football is for boys. And a big congrats on your interception.

MishMyBelle said...

Kristan, I am so impressed! I am sure all those nights of watching FNL helped improve your knowledge of the game, and inspired you to give it a try. What was your team name? Panthers?

nerak said...

i have a feeling that riggins is very very proud.

love this whole post.

well, that and the fact you actually played. :)

Paige said...

I feel like I don't even know you anymore! Flag football?!? Ha ha!! But I am so impressed Kristan! You rock. Way to win the game!

Red said...

YOU CAUGHT THE BALL?!?!? HOLY MOLY!!!